Our Service For You

Birth Injury
How Do I Get Compensation for a 3rd Degree Tear?

How Do I Get Compensation for a 3rd Degree Tear?

The long-term impact of a third degree tear might entitle you to compensation if your injury has not received the correct medical care.

Is a 3rd degree tear negligent?

If you are struggling with the long-term effects of a third degree tear, it is possible that you are entitled to compensation. However, that is not necessarily the case.

A small minority of women suffer a severe tear, affecting the anal sphincter muscles, when they give birth vaginally. This risk is increased if you fall into one of the following categories:

  • You are a first time mother
  • Your baby is larger than average
  • You require an instrumental delivery with forceps or ventouse
  • You are of Asian ethnicity

As the vagina and perineum stretch to allow the baby to be born, it is possible for the skin and muscle to tear. If this injury extends as far as the anus, it is described as a severe tear. Depending on the exact nature of the injury, it might be classified as a 3rd or 4th degree tear.

This is not necessarily a sign of medical negligence unless you have undergone an instrumental delivery without a prior episiotomy.

Medical care of perineal trauma

If you experience such a severe injury, it is important that you receive the correct medical treatment promptly. If this is not the case, and you suffer long-term symptoms of bowel and wind incontinence, it might be appropriate to make a claim for compensation.

Severe birth tears require the correct medical care:

  • A thorough examination of the perineum including a digital, rectal examination
  • Precise and accurate diagnosis using the correct classification
  • Prompt surgery to repair the injury, carried out by a skilled and experienced surgeon in an operating theatre

If one of these processes does not occur, leaving you with a lifetime of bowel difficulties, it might be appropriate to make a claim for compensation for the impact this has had. This might include a loss of earnings if you have found your ability to work has been compromised by your symptoms.

Claiming compensation

Claiming compensation for medical negligence requires the experience and support of a specialist solicitor who will ensure that a thorough assessment of your experience and on-going symptoms and impact is carried out.

Contact Glynns Solicitors

If you are struggling with the appalling impact of an undiagnosed or unrepaired third degree tear, contact us today to talk to a medical negligence solicitor with expertise in birth tear claims.

Please call us on 0800 234 3300 (or from a mobile 01275 334030) or complete our Online Enquiry Form.

Free enquiry

Free Claim Enquiry

Complete a short enquiry form and we will contact you.

Free enquiry



"Before we contacted you we had no real idea that we had grounds for a medical negligence claim but after speaking to you if became clear that Wendy was indeed treated poorly. Chris took the time to explain what was happening and kept us to speed. Our deepest gratitude to you all and Chris in particular."

"I would like to say a big thank you to you for making this whole process easy and relatively painless. You kept me informed throughout and you were always polite and courteous in all forms of communication. I would not hesitate to recommend you to friends and family, so a really big thank you and I wish you all the best in the future."

» Read More Medical Negligence Testimonials?


Our Expertise

clinical negligence panel


Free Birth Injury Guide

Helping Clients throughout England and Wales

contact us