Our Service For You

Birth Injury
Can I Get Compensation for Long-term Bowel Problems after Childbirth?

Can I Get Compensation for Long-term Bowel Problems after Childbirth?

On-going and debilitating bowel problems after vaginal childbirth may indicate that you have been the victim of medical negligence. Contact Glynns to discuss the suitability of making a claim for compensation for your pain, suffering and financial losses.

Severe birth tears

It is not unusual for a woman to experience some degree of loss of bowel control after vaginal childbirth. This could present as urgency when needing to go to the toilet or reduction in control of the passing of wind and faeces. These symptoms usually clear up as the weeks pass.

If a woman continues to experience significant bowel problems, however, it might suggest that either she has suffered a severe birth tear which has not been diagnosed or that her repair has been inadequate in some way. This can allow the wound to break down and symptoms to continue.

If a woman has been so unfortunate as to suffer a severe 3rd or 4th degree tear, she should receive an effective repair by a surgeon in an operating theatre as soon as possible after the birth of her child. For most women, this should be sufficient to ensure that her symptoms decline and cease over the next twelve months.

If a woman continues to suffer the appalling problems of wind and faecal incontinence and urgency months after the birth of her child, she may be the victim of medical negligence and it might be appropriate to make a claim for compensation.

Medical negligence

Suffering with long-term bowel control problems can not only damage a person's social confidence but can severely restrict their capacity to work and earn an income. This is where a successful claim for compensation can help.

It is essential that severe birth tears are diagnosed competently and accurately shortly after the birth, ensuring that a skilled, full and effective repair takes place. Where this does not occur, the relevant medical professionals may be regarded as having acted negligently.

Speak to a specialist solicitor

Glynns Solicitors is a medical negligence legal practice. Our team of specialist lawyers offers extensive experience in supporting successful compensation claims for failures in the medical care and management of severe birth tears.

If you are struggling with the debilitating and depressing impact of an unrepaired 3rd or 4th degree tear, contact us. It may be appropriate to make a claim for compensation.

Please call us on 0800 234 3300 (or from a mobile 01275 334030) or complete our Online Enquiry Form.

Free enquiry

Free Claim Enquiry

Complete a short enquiry form and we will contact you.

Free enquiry



"Before we contacted you we had no real idea that we had grounds for a medical negligence claim but after speaking to you if became clear that Wendy was indeed treated poorly. Chris took the time to explain what was happening and kept us to speed. Our deepest gratitude to you all and Chris in particular."

"I would like to say a big thank you to you for making this whole process easy and relatively painless. You kept me informed throughout and you were always polite and courteous in all forms of communication. I would not hesitate to recommend you to friends and family, so a really big thank you and I wish you all the best in the future."

» Read More Medical Negligence Testimonials?


Our Expertise

clinical negligence panel


Free Birth Injury Guide

Helping Clients throughout England and Wales

contact us